Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 2-Kibbe and Bits

I just got home from bowling and am really tired so I confess this won't be my best blog but I wanted to get it in  before midnight....

On Wednesdays I tutor at a local elementary school during the noon hour. Every week I pass by a restaurant that Grand Rapidians rave about -Marie Catrib's. I've always wanted to try it but never made any effort to go- especially by myself. I knew that it served food from different ethnicities that I've never experienced before, so today for my new thing I decided to go into the restaurant before tutoring and order something off a menu that I have never heard of.
My original plan was to sit down and eat by myself-as I have never done that outside of fast food, but all the seats seemed to be taken and it is a smaller establishment. Fortunately they have a to-go deli side so I was able to get something quick before heading out. Looking over the menu, I tried to find something that made me stop and say "huh??" I decided on Vegetarian Kibbe.


I had no clue what I was going to be getting and was equally unsure of how to pronounce it. I placed my order and confirmed with the employee that it is pronounced Kib-be. When my order was up he handed me a brown takeout box and asked if I wanted a napkin or fork. I had no idea what form Kibbe was going to take so I declined and hurried out the restaurant. When I got to my car I opened up the box much to my delight there was something that appeared to be a wrap. I examined it and took a bite. It was awful.
Okay that is just my opinion and I am sure there are a ton of foodies who would think it was delicious.I tend to go for the noodles, sauce, and cheese diet-sometimes throwing corn in for good measure. But I know I am not a good food critic.
 From what I could tell it had ground meal, tomatoes, red onions and yogurt in a tortillaish wrap with lots of spices. I swear I tasted cinnamon. I ate half the sandwich because I put all that work into trying something new, but I think from now on if I go to Marie Catrib's again I will try something like chicken salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment